Monday, October 28, 2019

Short Story Friday: Having the Boss Over for Dinner

Last Friday's short story came from Victoria Clapton. Enjoy!

Having the Boss Over for Dinner
By: Victoria Clapton

The chilly October sky turned cerulean and sanguine as the sun dipped below darkened clouds. Thirteen bats flew across the sinister backdrop, signaling the arrival of Leah, my level-headed, put-together boss, to my chilling abode. 


Leah stepped out of her SUV, paying no attention to the avian warning high above her head, and gave me a joyous wave before holding up a bottle of wine. She was just as at home here in my dark den of shadows as she was in her high-rise.


"Welcome to my home." I greeted while motioning for her to enter. The front door of my ramshackle Victorian home gave a squeeeaakkk.


"Thank you for hosting our monthly dinner, Vivien. The renovations are almost finished, but my house is certainly not ready for company." Leah kissed both of my cheeks before she stepped over the threshold and took in my Gothic décor. I waited for her to flinch, but her smile remained intact.
"Please make yourself at home. Dinner is almost ready." I pointed towards the living room and waited for her to be seated. "Would you like something to drink? I've some vintage Blood Wine."


"Yes, Blood Wine, what region is that from? I don't believe I've heard of it."


"It's a rare blend. Transylvanian, of course." I hand her an empty skull filled with wine and gestured for Leah to take a seat on one of my matching scorpion-shaped chairs.


Leah took a deep sip. Her face turned pallid then flushed scarlet. "Viv, this is a thick wine but is full-bodied. You must share your source with me."


I nodded and headed back to my kitchen. I'd slaved all day cooking my favorite foods to share with Leah. We were complete opposites but had always worked well together. Sharing this part of my life with her pleased me. 


I used my trusty hack saw to slice thick pieces of brioche and then topped them with bat brain jelly, laying them out prettily on an old silver tray. To go with this, I made a delightful meatloaf macabre, filled with all manner of chunky, crunchy surprises. And, of course, to drink, I had plenty of Blood Wine. A most filling meal, I believed.


"Come, Leah," I beckoned her towards the dining table and smiled pleasantly when I noticed traces of the Blood Wine dripped from her mouth.


"Oh, Viv! You've outdone yourself. I must make a video to share with our friends." 


My forehead scrunched. To her, "our friends" meant work colleagues. To me, "our friends" meant all of those that lurked beneath the ground of the cemetery out back. But I enjoyed my boss and would humor her eccentricities. After all, unlike me, she was still part of the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment