Thursday, June 26, 2014

My Writing Process

Blog hop!

This is my first attempt at one. Thanks to Christin Haws at kikiwritesabout.com for introducing me to this simple yet brilliant idea. I'm just going to answer four questions about my writing, then tag three author buddies to do the same next week. Then I'm going back to not posting for another few months. ;)

"Answer me these questions three... er, four:"

1) What are you working on?

The Thirst Within series. Right now only Part 1 is published, but last November during NaNoWriMo I wrote most of Part 2. But somewhere along the way I had the brilliant (read: incredibly stupid) idea to write a novella about one of the main character's past (Corben's), to get some backstory out of the sequel. This novella is about 75% done and it features the vampire Corben, told from his point of view. So in a way I'm working on two things.


2) How does you work differ from others of its genre?

Vampire-wise, my guys have lots in common with a lot of books out there. But there are some differences.

The main one is, there's no bursting into flames in the sun - because, well, I couldn't figure out why. How could light do that to anything? So my vamps are night creatures, but direct sunlight won't kill them. It can't! And also, never ever will my vampires turn into bats. Or worse, mist! That's just impossible!


3) Why do you write what you do?

It's all I read when I was young: young adult paranormal romances. Then I grew up but my tastes didn't, apparently. Now I can read other genres but I don't like them as much. So, naturally, I'm drawn to write to my favorite genre.

Plus, sometimes when I read a YA paranormal story I'd yell: "No! [Insert some random creature power here] is not physically possible! Someone better do something about this..." And then well, I figured, I can just write off whatever bothers me about all these stories. Sure, I'll write one myself.


4) How does your writing process work?

I'd like to say that I write an outline first, then I turn it into a book. But what ends up happening is I write a very general outline, not quite finish it, and start working from it. Then as I write, scenes pop up in my head and my original outline is changed. Sometimes I don't even write everything in order. I'll go back and add scenes in between already-written chapters. When all is written and I think I'm done, I call that my first draft. I read through it and change a bunch of things. Then I'm done. Then I read it again for editing/ proofing... it takes a while.

***

And that's it. I'm done with these four questions! How exciting. Now let's tag my writing buddies. These guys are answering these same questions next week: check them out!

-Victoria Clapton at http://southerndisappointments.blogspot.com.
Sometimes I wonder if Victoria and I are the same person. Then I stop doing drugs and smile, and realize it's just we have a whole bunch of things in common. Victoria is the author of the Dark Light Saga, which she has published, and other secret work that I'm not going to discuss, but I promise it's amazing!

-D.R. Johnson at http://www.thephoenixcurse.com
D.R. is another favorite author of mine. Her series The Phoenix Curse is a brilliant new take on zombies. She has published After - Part 1 and After - Part 2, and is in the process of finishing Part 3. As one of her adoring fans I have to say I'm thrilled, and I can't wait to read it!

Last but not least...

-The elusive K LeMaire at http://twiddlingurthumbs.com
This guy I've known for 10 years. I met him at a Circuit City. He checked me out, I checked him out. Then we went out for a movie and we've been playing videogames together ever since. He's now my husband and father of my future children. K LeMaire wrote one of the books published under my name, Margarette, and has written about 5-10 outlines for stories that I've been sworn to turn into books if he ever falls into a coma.

Check them out next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment